Skip to main content

Remains of a Lost Heart - Part 10

After a crazy coupla weeks. New workplace, crazy semester at college only meant no time for anything! But, I felt the compulsive need to write. So here goes the penultimate part of The Remains of a Lost Heart. Yep, this tale is gonna end soon. Keep reading. Read and Enjoy this one.

Chapter 10 - The Beginning of the End



He woke up with a start. He realized that not telling Divya about his past with Nisha could harm the bliss in both their lives. Divya did not demand to know, but, he knew he would feel much better if he told her anyways. He had to look for the right time to bring it up with Divya and tell her. But, the previous night was a real awakening for Arya or so he thought.

“Divs, Sweetums wake up. We need to head to meet Professor Comer today morning in his office. So, get ready and gimme a buzz sugar. We’ll head for breakfast and then straight to school.”, Arya mollycoddled.  She replied weakly as she tossed and turned on her bed, “Ok dude. Will do. Love ya…See you soon.” They had breakfast and headed to meet their Professor. The day was pretty uneventful.

He sat down in her bed and opened his laptop to check some mail. There was an offliner that said, “Need to talk. Where are you? Send me your number I lost it.” It was from Nisha. He was shocked. He had no clue what it was about and the first emotion when he saw the message was fear. He had lost all his ability to think rationally. He just replied with his number and closed all windows and stowed his laptop into his bag and laid himself down on the bed.

“Hmmm…. There seems to be something in the back of that head Arya. You are still worried about what you should say about the moving in thingy eh? Look, I will not be upset if you don’t want to. So can you just stop looking so tense all the time?” Divya said in a completely convincing tone as she walked into the room with dinner. He did not say anything. He looked at her and somehow all his worry and thought vanished. The way she looked at him took his breath away and put him in a trance every single time.

He hugged her from behind and held her up close as he rested his chin on her right shoulder. She could feel his warm breath on her neck. Her face turned pink and blood was rushing to her face. He spoke as he tucked a tuft of hair behind her ear and kissed her on her cheek. She half-turned and looked him in the eye.  “I have spoken to my roomies about moving out and …..” he started. “And and and??? What is it?? Spill it out dude..” she sounded out in excitement. “Let’s start looking for an apartment baby doll”, he said with a look of accomplishment on his face.

The two weeks passed in no time and they moved into an apartment together. They were now living together. But, the thought of telling her about Nisha was still scaring him at the back of his head. He sat alone in the room on his bed while Divya was out in the storage organizing all the boxes they had used to move. He then went out and started helping Divya with all the cleaning up.

It was a long and tiresome day and they had dinner with their old roomies that night. They kissed goodnight and crashed.  It was early in the morning and Divya was still sleeping like a baby. He woke up brushed and went up to the refrigerator to find milk for his breakfast and realized there wasn’t milk in the house. He walked to a nearby store to get some milk. His phone rang the minute he stepped out. It was a number he did not recognize but, he somehow knew who it was. It was Nisha.

He answered the call. He said, “Hello…” and waited for a response from the other end. She responded in a rather excited tone, “Hey!! Long time… How are you?” she paused and continued, “Wait… Guessed who?” There was a small pause before he realized it was the voice he knew for eternity. A voice from his past. He said, “Hey Nish……… How are you? Where have you been and from the number I am guessing that you are back in the Bay Area.”  She wasn’t surprised he knew her voice. She said, “Yup dude I am here on work again. This time around I am going to stay here for a longer time. So, when do we meet up?” He thought for a while before he could reply and said, “Nish… Will this be your number? I am at a store to buy some groceries. I’ll buzz u in a bit if that will be ok… So let me know when you get off work.. We’ll plan something around it.” He felt comfortable talking to her and there was nothing worrying him anymore for some strange reason.

He walked back home and had a huge smile of relief across his face all through the day. He did not know why. But, he felt like a huge load was taken off him and kept aside as he happily troddled away. He was too happy to think about what it was. He came home and woke up Divya. He told her that they needed to talk. Divya was surprised by his energy and curtness that early in morning. She had a small worry as she did know what it was about. She brushed her teeth and walked out as he stood there with his arms spread out. She went right into them and hugged him. “Now tell me what it is..”, she said.

“It’s Nisha…. She’s here in the Bay Area” saying this he made a long pause. “What Nisha? Who Nisha? Tell me clearly Arya you are starting to worry me. Don’t let me start imagining anything ‘cos you know it could make me really mad at you” she said impatiently as she withdrew herself from his hold. “Ok. She was the one girl I was crazy about for a very long time. And by long time I mean a really long time. A little more than 8 years or so” he continued to tell her the whole story and showed her all that he had written for Nisha. “And that pretty much is everything…” he ended looking her in the eye.

Divya did not look too happy. She appeared mad at Arya. She stared at him coldly and walked into her room and shut the door loudly behind her. 


****************************************************************************************************************************

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming...

I choose now to write A thought about Thoughts, a tale about Feelings. How I wanted to, But, did not speak up or express. I chose, but, To be hurt, To feel betrayed, Disappointed,   by The ones I thought never will Defeated in every path, I chose Stopped time I did, Flipped a few pages back, And stared at life, As an outsider, a stranger With no judgment… I wanted to And failed To say no, to opine To choose differently To be happy and Not carry the burden of My choices. I chose the sorrow, I chose betrayal, I chose yesterday, I chose today. I chose to become. Alas! Time waits for no one, I lay with my eyes open, On a bed of choices and doubts. Pages of life turned to A tomorrow with hope, New paths to pave A path to a new Becoming…

Master of None (?!)

And I keep returning to the blogosphere with one thing or the other. Here goes another cryptic mess here. Are you the master of your choice?  Bright and vibrant eyes, A soothing voice, Helpful demeanor, Subtle yet present curves, A shapely dress, Highlighting them all, As if she wasn't already attractive enough. She called out to him, Gently nudging for attention, From time to time. No matter how big the crowd, He ogled at her unabashedly, Never let her out of sight, Or an arm's length. She wasn't new in his life, Nonetheless, she managed... To morph in many ways From time to time Just for his attention And he, for her Diabolical, was she? One fine day… He sat with his back, Turned away from her, Like he cared - For the world around him. As he looked up and around, All that was left was... Burned bridges, Withering flowers, Fallen leaves, Decadence of life as he knew it And an insignificant ray of hope.

Me, myself & joy....

My back faced the window at The Brew Room. I was engrossed with a few spreadsheets and documents. My coffee arrived. The girl with a very subtle smile on her face served it and was pleasantly shocked when I said thank you and smiled at her. So much so, I could see a small amount of blood rush to her thin, long and meek face that brought an involuntary smile across it.  She turned back and walked away to avoid further eye contact.  In some time, the sun, as it went about it's day moved further west and shone through parts of the windows of the coffee shop. The tree cover and the sun rays had a battle of sorts while the shadows played along. I had youtube dishing out AR Rahman's melodies one after the other. I suddenly felt a warmth on my back. A few sneaky rays of sunshine diffused through the gaps in the leaves to make it in and bring new life into my workplace. I took off my earphones, sat there observing the cheerful people around me and the near perfect day.  To m