Skip to main content

Innovation's Dead End, Ugly Wars and Funny Investors...



Long time no c... Blogosphere... Tons of changes, crazy number of things happening... You get the drift dontcha...  







I have been meaning to write this post for quite a while… I was tickled into writing this one cos I am tired. Tired of what you may ask? Whether or not you do, I am going to go ahead and tell.

Google, Apple, Facebook are the only entities that show up in the news these days. Wait, just for the fun of including it I am going to rope in Samsung although they aren't quite the most important thing cos they are not American. Are they for the right reasons and is this much attention even necessary? It some times seems that they are all little teenage gals that are always up to something only for the attention. They even seem to be pulling each others hair out all the time. As for the analogy to little gals don’t get all feminist about it. I just mean the tv and movie kinds. Ok?

Why this post and who cares what I write? I am not any blog that has a crunch or gadget in my name, but, on the other side I can write about anything not just GOOG or AAPL or FB. Anyways just a fun read for the average reader and a topic of debate for the techies.

Google and Apple have forever been at war. Let’s just say iOS vs Android. In the first few years of novelty iOS managed to capture the imagination of tons of techies and they found an amazing formula (App Ecosystem) that rocked the world. Android soon followed suit. Android wasn’t made for the average user. You had to put in some training time into the platform. But, in came Samsung and started changing things. Years later with the Galaxy series they even kicked the ripe AAPL butt. I know lot of you may disagree and I hope you do. And if you do, hold on to that thought. This isn’t one of ‘those’ posts.

What happened? How did my life change when these giants made billions?  They fought THE BATTLE in their labs. Some of the best minds in the world put to wonderful use to improve features and make my life easier. As an unbiased techie user of the phone, I find the Android more convenient in a lot of ways. They weren’t like that before cos back in the iPhone 3G,3Gs era people could only DREAM of making anything close to the iPhone and even if hardware got close the apps just did not play into the hands of the Droids, Blackberrys and  Nokia (Who? Ok I admit I brought it up in sheer bad taste and sarcasm) Coming back, every single feature, starting from the Swype keypad to Siri to S-Voice to WIDGETS to awesome-atic notifications to 4G LTE and on n on…  has made our lives easier. So, what about it now?

Now Google & Samsung & Apple et al have stopped innovating in their labs. Wait, I am not making a stupid assertion and hoping to get away with it. I am merely stating what it seems like. Now they are fighting IP battles. Their battles are now in the public and they seem to be throwing more money at their lawyers than their engineers. No disrespect to IP here and none to lawyers either. Although the patent of the rounded shape may seem absurd to some of you, I am completely championing the cause of patenting apple as ONLY the logo of the company and hence every apple grown in the world should pay royalty to AAPL. I am also strongly in support of the fact that anything that remotely uses any wireless communication to transfer data that only you care about and can be carried in your hand or can be transported without a dolly should pay royalty to GOOG. Wait!! Wait!! Wait…why are those sentences incredibly long and why do I forget what I read in the first half of it? Cos we aren’t trained to do so. We are mere users that enjoy the fruit of such wars.

So how bout that.. I could go on and keep making sarcastic (or not so much) remarks about both their IPs. But, then it wouldn’t be fair to those lawyers that came up with the idea of the patenting rounded edges.

Samsung has cashed in a lot on the growth of the Android per se putting them on the same plan as Apple. Yup, they did use some dirty tricks to get here. Who did not? Keep innovating in the labs and keep us consumers waiting to see what’s next. Make us imagine the way you did a few years back about what we are going to see next. Not about who might win that case in court. Frankly users don’t give a tiny rat’s behind. Again, I am in favor of IPs being used for the right reason. Not, just to stop sale of a product or skim billions from your competitor. You ain’t proving nothing but the fact that you are scared to fight in a fair market. Suits and countersuits aren’t what we want to see.

I want to see the CRAZY fanbois standing in queue all night to jus witness a marvel Apple just announced. I want to see all the geeks dying to get their hands on the latest droids to see what’s in it for the developers.

Amidst all this, why did I bring in FB at all? They are just funny people that went with an unfairly overpriced IPO and now they hired John Gehry to build an intriguing office, miles from where I post this. They are sure to spend a gazillion $ to build up this tree top fantasy. It seems to be a vulgar amount of money when your company stock is now half the price it began at. Seriously no ones asking?  What a crazy idea. I have 900 million users so I will build an AWESOME targeted advertising platform. Wait, Google is a frikkin’ verb now and they have a MEGA share in the advertising pie that you are trying to bite into you moron. Targeted ads – yea right. I almost used profanity but, really meant to keep this post clean. I have seen so many beautifully targeted ads these days. That’s all. (SARCASM SIGN a la TBBT). Please, pay back all your investors what they really deserve and just be a nice social networking platform. Pretty please at that….

I am bringing this post to an abrupt end or rather leaving it all open to discussion/debate/war.


P.S As I just finished writing this post, AAPL clearly kicked some Samsung butt in court. And wait I still don’t give a flying bleep. My phone works and I love it…
P.P.S I might switch  to the iPhone5 depending on what’s new just so you know….
P.P.P.S Sure I am kiddin’ about P.P.S. No Google maps? No Youtube integration. Y not…!! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming...

I choose now to write A thought about Thoughts, a tale about Feelings. How I wanted to, But, did not speak up or express. I chose, but, To be hurt, To feel betrayed, Disappointed,   by The ones I thought never will Defeated in every path, I chose Stopped time I did, Flipped a few pages back, And stared at life, As an outsider, a stranger With no judgment… I wanted to And failed To say no, to opine To choose differently To be happy and Not carry the burden of My choices. I chose the sorrow, I chose betrayal, I chose yesterday, I chose today. I chose to become. Alas! Time waits for no one, I lay with my eyes open, On a bed of choices and doubts. Pages of life turned to A tomorrow with hope, New paths to pave A path to a new Becoming…

Master of None (?!)

And I keep returning to the blogosphere with one thing or the other. Here goes another cryptic mess here. Are you the master of your choice?  Bright and vibrant eyes, A soothing voice, Helpful demeanor, Subtle yet present curves, A shapely dress, Highlighting them all, As if she wasn't already attractive enough. She called out to him, Gently nudging for attention, From time to time. No matter how big the crowd, He ogled at her unabashedly, Never let her out of sight, Or an arm's length. She wasn't new in his life, Nonetheless, she managed... To morph in many ways From time to time Just for his attention And he, for her Diabolical, was she? One fine day… He sat with his back, Turned away from her, Like he cared - For the world around him. As he looked up and around, All that was left was... Burned bridges, Withering flowers, Fallen leaves, Decadence of life as he knew it And an insignificant ray of hope.

Me, myself & joy....

My back faced the window at The Brew Room. I was engrossed with a few spreadsheets and documents. My coffee arrived. The girl with a very subtle smile on her face served it and was pleasantly shocked when I said thank you and smiled at her. So much so, I could see a small amount of blood rush to her thin, long and meek face that brought an involuntary smile across it.  She turned back and walked away to avoid further eye contact.  In some time, the sun, as it went about it's day moved further west and shone through parts of the windows of the coffee shop. The tree cover and the sun rays had a battle of sorts while the shadows played along. I had youtube dishing out AR Rahman's melodies one after the other. I suddenly felt a warmth on my back. A few sneaky rays of sunshine diffused through the gaps in the leaves to make it in and bring new life into my workplace. I took off my earphones, sat there observing the cheerful people around me and the near perfect day.  To m