Skip to main content

Remains of a Lost Heart - Part 4

Well, yet another delayed post. As readers (yes I am being hopeful there are such people ;) ) I hope you really are enjoying this series. Find Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3  here if you haven't yet read them yet. 

Chapter 4 - The First Date Again?

Arya finished up with the meeting and almost ran out to his cubicle. He had to call her right away to see if he was going to meet her for real.  He dialed her number and waited for her to pick up the call. He waited till a sweet and monotonous sounding woman said “The person you’re trying to reach is currently unavailable. Please try again later.” He walked out for lunch with a rather disappointed look on his face. He sent her a couple of messages over lunch and he waited for her to respond.

Nisha called an hour later and he picked it up like he was waiting for the phone to ring. He was circling the phone like a vulture prying on a dying creature. Arya almost yelled in excitement and lowered his tone as people around him started giving him weird looks. He said “This weekend? Whoa. I was pleasantly shocked. I don’t even know how but, I am going to be in Bangalore this weekend. Seriously, so two full days of fun. Eh?” Realizing he was rambling out of sheer happiness she let him finish. Nisha then slowly said, “Hey Arya, slow down man…. You really wanted to meet me that much, why did you not mention it before?” After a couple of uncomfortable seconds of silence, he replied, “I did not know whether you wanted to meet me or not. I could never be sure. It has been 8 long years right?” She sounded extremely furious when she said, “What do you mean what would I think? Sometimes you really know how to piss me off Arya. I’ll talk to you later. Bye” and hung up. Arya was totally thrown off by what had just happened. He sat down to think how he just screwed his own happiness and hers.

Arya went back home that evening and was fidgeting around. He did not know what to do and she hadn’t replied to his messages or calls since afternoon. He logged onto his computer to check work emails. He saw her online on his IM client. It said Nish is now online. He pinged her and waited for a reply.

“I know what I said was crazy and stupid ok? I did not mean to hurt you. I am reallllly realllllly sorry sweets” he typed. After a couple of minutes a message popped up on his screen, “Arya it’s been 8 years has that changed the fact that we sit and talk for hours together over phone or chat. It hasn’t changed the fact that we are the best of pals and it hasn’t changed the fact that it worries me if I don’t receive a message from you every hour.”  Arya had no reply and he was just guilty. He sent his next message with a great courage, “Nish. There are things that I am kinda worried about. Can we just talk about when and where I should pick you up this weekend?” For some strange reason Nisha just smiled at the message and asked him, “How come you are picking me up? How are you coming? I thought I’ll come to the airport or the railway station.” Arya was planning to drive down to Bangalore. They continued making plans for the weekend the following hours before they logged out.

Arya was nervous about the weekend. He had no clue Nisha was thinking. She was right nothing had changed in 8 years apart from the fact that she did not wear her spectacles anymore and she confused him just the way she used to. They planned to meet for lunch at a popular hang out in Bangalore. Nisha got there before him and she waited while he had a tough time fighting his way through the traffic and finding parking. He called her and asked her where she was. She told him that she was on the first floor. He walked in and Nisha rose from where she was seated. His hands literally trembled when he pulled out a huge bouquet full of gerberas and tube roses from behind his back and handed it to her. It was big enough to cover her pretty face. As she sat down the waiter came in with a box of chocolates and handed it to Arya. “Now hoping that you love the flowers.. here goes a box  of Belgian chocolates just for you”, he handed it to her and sat down.

He noticed that Nisha was just as nervous as he was. Her hands trembled as she took the bouquet and the box of chocolates from Arya. They both felt the same way they did eight years back. Nothing had changed indeed. Nisha was blushing with all the attention she received from onlookers in the restaurant. Arya said, “Ok I thought it would be a nice surprise Nish…. Did you like them? I really hope you’re not allergic to pollen or something.” Nisha was still trying to get out of the surprise, “She said thanks a ton Arya… Love them. That was by far the best surprise I have received in a long time.” Arya quickly diverted attention to a different topic and asked her about her recent vacation. “Where are the pics Nish?”, he questioned. As she sipped on her soup she said, “I clicked quite a few with my mobile dude.” Before she could finish the sentence Arya took her mobile from where it lay on the table and started checking the images out. As he went by a couple of images he joked, “I can check out the pics rite?? Hope you didn’t mind” and let out a sheepish grin.

He was almost sighing loudly looking at some pictures. She sat by him and explained each picture. “Can I actually send myself some of these pics Nish, really love them and I don’t have any pictures of yours”, he asked her. She nodded and he sent himself the ones he really liked. The lunch went on till evening and they paid and left the place. They hung around all evening in a nearby mall talking about anything and everything under the sun. They had a very light dinner and some dessert in a fast-food place and walked to Arya’s car. As he drove, Arya asked her, “Nish, it feels so fresh and the same like it did eight years ago. Where do you think this is heading this time around?” Nisha remained silent for the rest of the drive and did not reply at all. He dropped her. As she got down from the car, Nisha waved to him and said, “You make me feel like a school girl all over again Arya. I had a wonderful time with you today. Goodnight and sweet dreams man. Drive safe ok?” Arya was surprised by the way she totally ignored the conversation he had started. He got off the car as she walked away and asked, “Nisha did you actually not hear what I said or do you not want to think about it now?” She walked up to him, gave him a hug and said, “I think I’ll not be able to make it tomorrow Arya. Have to take mom to the hospital. See you around.”  She turned around and walked away. He stood there and watched her turn into a pretty silhouette as the moon shone down.






****************************************************************************************
P.S: Leave me your valuable comments guys
P.P.S: More parts coming soon.... :) Keep Reading budds!

Comments

  1. dude, waiting for the climax da. really well written and even better breaking up of the story..awesome da macha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thnx mach.... climax long way to go da! :) :) Read on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dey seekiram ezhudhu da anna.... waiting to read what will happen to arya's love :( seekiram seekiram ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming...

I choose now to write A thought about Thoughts, a tale about Feelings. How I wanted to, But, did not speak up or express. I chose, but, To be hurt, To feel betrayed, Disappointed,   by The ones I thought never will Defeated in every path, I chose Stopped time I did, Flipped a few pages back, And stared at life, As an outsider, a stranger With no judgment… I wanted to And failed To say no, to opine To choose differently To be happy and Not carry the burden of My choices. I chose the sorrow, I chose betrayal, I chose yesterday, I chose today. I chose to become. Alas! Time waits for no one, I lay with my eyes open, On a bed of choices and doubts. Pages of life turned to A tomorrow with hope, New paths to pave A path to a new Becoming…

Master of None (?!)

And I keep returning to the blogosphere with one thing or the other. Here goes another cryptic mess here. Are you the master of your choice?  Bright and vibrant eyes, A soothing voice, Helpful demeanor, Subtle yet present curves, A shapely dress, Highlighting them all, As if she wasn't already attractive enough. She called out to him, Gently nudging for attention, From time to time. No matter how big the crowd, He ogled at her unabashedly, Never let her out of sight, Or an arm's length. She wasn't new in his life, Nonetheless, she managed... To morph in many ways From time to time Just for his attention And he, for her Diabolical, was she? One fine day… He sat with his back, Turned away from her, Like he cared - For the world around him. As he looked up and around, All that was left was... Burned bridges, Withering flowers, Fallen leaves, Decadence of life as he knew it And an insignificant ray of hope.

Me, myself & joy....

My back faced the window at The Brew Room. I was engrossed with a few spreadsheets and documents. My coffee arrived. The girl with a very subtle smile on her face served it and was pleasantly shocked when I said thank you and smiled at her. So much so, I could see a small amount of blood rush to her thin, long and meek face that brought an involuntary smile across it.  She turned back and walked away to avoid further eye contact.  In some time, the sun, as it went about it's day moved further west and shone through parts of the windows of the coffee shop. The tree cover and the sun rays had a battle of sorts while the shadows played along. I had youtube dishing out AR Rahman's melodies one after the other. I suddenly felt a warmth on my back. A few sneaky rays of sunshine diffused through the gaps in the leaves to make it in and bring new life into my workplace. I took off my earphones, sat there observing the cheerful people around me and the near perfect day.  To m