Skip to main content

Remains of a Lost Heart - Part 7

Seriously, this delayed posting of parts has almost become a habit and I have a different reason all the time. This time around, its Nyah. Yup, she caused the delay in this post. Shes my new Nikon D90 and she is keeping me busy enough not to write. Now, here goes Part 7 of the story. Read on......


Chapter 7 - The New Company


Arya was lost for a few minutes and he tried to build random conversations to find out who it was. And then it struck him, it was the very same voice he was pining to hear for the rest of his life, a few months back. Somehow it brought up all the memories he had tried to bury over time. He felt the same nervousness and excitement that he felt eight and more years before.

“Oh my god! Is that you Nisha and you are calling from a local number. Am I thinking right?”, asked Arya with a clear tone of excitement and joy in his voice. He was literally jumping up and down and his friends had no clue what was happening. “Oh yes dude. You are thinking just right. I am here on work for a few weeks. So tell me… Long time no see, How have you been?”, said Nisha in a rather un-enthusiastic tone. They caught up over all the time they hadn’t spoken and then Nisha asked, “So, when and where are we gonna meet Arya?” He thought for a while and he said, “I am kind of busy with settling down here Nish.. I’ll call you during the week and we can make plans. Ok?” They both agreed and went about their daily activities. 

He sat down to think and there was something about the call that made him uncomfortable. He did not want to go through the whole confusion again. He was determined not to let any memories harm him anymore.  In her couple of weeks of stay, they only met once. They went to a pastry shop and had something to eat. It was like a very formal meeting of two people who have hardly met before. Arya tried hard to make void and shallow conversations. Somehow, towards the end of the conversation, he couldn’t take it anymore. His heart won the battle over his brain. He asked, “Are you seeing anyone now? I am still wondering, would you have gone out with me if the distance wasn’t an issue?” Nisha was surprised and taken aback by the question.

It made the already uncomfortable situation, awkward. He told her not to bother answering the question. She did not. He walked her home. She waved goodbye and walked away. He thought about what had happened and walked away into the darkness. She stood in the balcony, looked at him and waved into the darkness. She wanted to answer the question but she wasn’t sure. She was leaving for India the very next night and he called her just before she left. After a routine bye-bye conversation, Nisha said, “About yesterday…” and she was quickly interrupted by Arya, “Well I told you, you don’t have to answer the question and I am sorry if I brought up something even without knowing whether or not there was someone in your life now.” Nisha heard him out patiently. “You know what…I want to answer the question. It isn’t easy for me. But, yes. I would’ve gone out with you but for the distance. Anyways, now it doesn’t seem to matter to you. All the best.” and she hung up.

Arya felt miserable. The only reason he did it was because he did not want to put her through the same old confusion and get himself in the same trouble. He thought about the whole thing for a couple of days and he let it all pass. He was now thinking he had to move on and let her do the same. A new school, new people and new routines had him immersed neck deep and he had no time for any old thoughts to penetrate his time. He was sitting outside the café one fine afternoon and thought out aloud before he dug his teeth into a 6-inch sub, “Whoeva said an idle mind’s a devil’s workshop must be a genius!” and he took his first bite. A sweet voice distracted his thought, “I can’t agree more… ” He looked up at the source of the voice.

She was the prettiest girl he had seen. The little smile she had across her face made a small dimple on her right cheek. A small subtle, but, persistent breeze threw her tied dark and long hair in front. She carefully moved it back and removed the clip to redo her hair properly. She pulled out her band, put it around her wrist as she adjusted her hair. Arya almost went into a trance. “Well, now that you are looking here, I may well tell you, I am Divya. I am a Software Engineering major and I joined this Spring. And you are?”, she said thus and extended her hand for a handshake. She waved in front of his eyes to get him out of the trance and then he shook hands. “Well, I did not mean to stare. But, you are so gorgeous. So software huh? We are classmates for the next two years. I am Arya.” After the brief embarrassment, they caught up about where they were from and what they had been doing before they had landed in California. They were both from Chennai and they seemed to have a lot of common interests. Arya and Divya soon became the best of friends.

It was almost end of the semester and they were doing their project together. Arya had dozed off sitting next to her. She woke him up when she was done with her part and was pulling his leg about the way he slept. He worked on his part and she slept off right next to him and she asked him to wake her up before he was going to go back home. He finished his work and almost tucked her in and slipped out of her house silently the next morning.

It was around noon when she woke up and gave Arya a call. “I asked you to wake me up…u crazy fella. Why didn’t you?”, she questioned. He had just gotten out of the shower, “Well, you were in deep sleep and you looked too cute that way. I just did not have the heart to get you outta that”, he answered. Divya was blushing and with a tone of embarrassment she asked, “Wait…. Are you trying to hit on me?? ‘cos you know it will not work right?” Arya hadn’t thought of it till then, now he was thinking. Out of the blue he just asked her, “So, do we go out and get a cup of coffee today evening? I mean… go out …go out.” Divya wasn’t surprised he asked her. She knew that he was quite the sweet-talking charmer when it came to women, but, she was surprised. In a surprised tone she said, “Well, I will have to think this through. Can I call you in 5 minutes?” He hung up and waited for a call.


****************************************************************************************
P.S: Please leave me your valuable comments and feedback.
P.P.S: At this point, I would like to make the disclaimer that, as opposed to popular belief, all characters in the story are purely fictional and any resemblance to any real life person is purely coincidental.

Comments

  1. dei..any more suspense m gonna kill u...california isnt that far...just 3hr'ish from here....
    get ur butt down and write the whole thing asap in one sitting..!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming...

I choose now to write A thought about Thoughts, a tale about Feelings. How I wanted to, But, did not speak up or express. I chose, but, To be hurt, To feel betrayed, Disappointed,   by The ones I thought never will Defeated in every path, I chose Stopped time I did, Flipped a few pages back, And stared at life, As an outsider, a stranger With no judgment… I wanted to And failed To say no, to opine To choose differently To be happy and Not carry the burden of My choices. I chose the sorrow, I chose betrayal, I chose yesterday, I chose today. I chose to become. Alas! Time waits for no one, I lay with my eyes open, On a bed of choices and doubts. Pages of life turned to A tomorrow with hope, New paths to pave A path to a new Becoming…

Master of None (?!)

And I keep returning to the blogosphere with one thing or the other. Here goes another cryptic mess here. Are you the master of your choice?  Bright and vibrant eyes, A soothing voice, Helpful demeanor, Subtle yet present curves, A shapely dress, Highlighting them all, As if she wasn't already attractive enough. She called out to him, Gently nudging for attention, From time to time. No matter how big the crowd, He ogled at her unabashedly, Never let her out of sight, Or an arm's length. She wasn't new in his life, Nonetheless, she managed... To morph in many ways From time to time Just for his attention And he, for her Diabolical, was she? One fine day… He sat with his back, Turned away from her, Like he cared - For the world around him. As he looked up and around, All that was left was... Burned bridges, Withering flowers, Fallen leaves, Decadence of life as he knew it And an insignificant ray of hope.

Me, myself & joy....

My back faced the window at The Brew Room. I was engrossed with a few spreadsheets and documents. My coffee arrived. The girl with a very subtle smile on her face served it and was pleasantly shocked when I said thank you and smiled at her. So much so, I could see a small amount of blood rush to her thin, long and meek face that brought an involuntary smile across it.  She turned back and walked away to avoid further eye contact.  In some time, the sun, as it went about it's day moved further west and shone through parts of the windows of the coffee shop. The tree cover and the sun rays had a battle of sorts while the shadows played along. I had youtube dishing out AR Rahman's melodies one after the other. I suddenly felt a warmth on my back. A few sneaky rays of sunshine diffused through the gaps in the leaves to make it in and bring new life into my workplace. I took off my earphones, sat there observing the cheerful people around me and the near perfect day.  To m