Skip to main content

Remains of a Lost Heart - Part 5

Well, a day's delay on this one. I am really hoping all you readers out there are finding this interesting and please please do leave me valuable feedback. If you haven't already read the remaining parts, find them right here. Part 1Part 2Part 3 and Part 4. Read and enjoy. Here goes the next installment. 

Chapter 5 - The Day After

Arya saw her walk away, turn into a silhouette and vanish into the darkness. The second she vanished, it almost felt like the darkness, into which she went had consumed his thoughts. He was clueless about her state of mind and he just turned on some music and drove into the night and crashed at his cousin’s place.

He got up very early in the morning and messaged Nisha asking her why she wouldn’t meet him today and if it had anything to do with the conversation he had started. She called right away and squeaked into the phone, “Arya, don’t be a fool. I just had forgotten that I had to take mom for a complete checkup today. I really miss you and I hope we could do this much more frequently. Any bright ideas kiddo?” Arya was just silently nodding away in the conversation till he almost got out of the trance and realized he had to reply. He said shakily, “I promise to drive down every month to Bangalore. We have a good time till January and I promise we’ll make the best of it. I suggest you come to Chennai too sometime. What say?” Nisha was smiling, smiling wide. He could almost see her smile through the phone. Her joy was evident in her voice as she said, “That sounds amazing. Now I am headed to the hospital dude. Miss you tons and big big hugs. Leave me a message about when our next date is. Buhbye.” Arya sat in his car and grinned.

Arya spent the rest of his Sunday with his relatives and left for Chennai in the afternoon. He thought about Nisha all through the drive and at the end of it he still did not have an answer to his question. She had left him just as confused as he was eight years ago. Just as Arya parked his car at his house, Ajay called him on his phone. Ajay sounded very concerned, “Where the hell have you been dude? You haven’t picked up the calls of any of the guys.” He went on until he stopped in shock when he heard Arya say, “I was with Nisha. It was the first date after 8 years man. I betcha nothing has changed.” Arya took a momentary pause when Ajay jumped in, “Whoa dude… Where are you now? Tell me what happened? Got any new pics of hers? It’s been quite a while since I met her.” Ajay was then teasing Arya for a little bit before he told him that he was going to drop by and hung up.

Arya was lazing around the house with an eternal grin on his face that almost made him folks think he was deranged. Arya’s mom asked, “What are you so happy about Arya? Whom did you meet? Found a new girl or something on this Bangalore trip is it? I heard that you did not spend any time at Thatha’s place.” Arya was caught off-guard; he had never lied to his parents about anything. Arya out of impulse said, “It is an old friend I met after 8 years mom. Just a lot of memories and all that. You know how it is” and grinned sheepishly. His mom looked at him in suspicion, smiled at him and went back to her work in the kitchen.

Arya was very close to his parents and they understood him very well. He told his parents about everything he was going through. He hadn’t told them about Nisha. He wasn’t himself sure about what was going on, so, he did not want to make a fool of himself or end up disappointing them. Arya sat in a bean bag and picked up his notepad and scribbled in it as he was lost in thought. He almost jumped out of where he sat when Ajay came in and he shoved the notepad quickly under the center table. Ajay was greeted by Arya’s mom. He went up to the couch near which Arya sat and whispered, “I saw you shove that notepad away, so, what is it? A poem? A love letter? For Nisha right? Give it to me or I am gonna invite your mom to this party” and giggled as he took the notepad from Arya.

Ajay said he had to check his mail and walked into Arya’s room with the notepad in hand. As he walked by, Arya’s mom called out “Ajay and Arya dinner will be ready in sometime tell me when you want to eat.” Ajay halted at the kitchen and sniffed around and chatted with Arya’s mom about what was cooking. Arya was losing patience as he waited in his room and called out for Ajay rather impatiently. He came in and Arya told Ajay the entire story about how it happened and what had happened. “So what do you think she’s thinking dude? Any bright ideas?” asked Arya with a quizzical expression on his face. Ajay quickly escaped the conversation and asked him jokingly, “So, you went to Bangalore just because she sent you one message and I have been telling you we should go there for eons now to party.” Arya sat there with a slight smile on his face with blood filling it bright red. In all the bantering that was going on, Ajay had forgotten about the notepad and they both went to have dinner and he left immediately.

Arya jumped at the phone as soon as Ajay left and it looked like he was waiting for it. He went into his room and called Nisha. “Is mom ok? What did the doctors say?”, he asked with a tone of concern. “Oh ya it was just routine dude. Nothing to worry about and all. So how was your drive back?” she replied. Almost like he expected that question he said, “Lonely. I thought my car was a much better place when you were in it.” Nisha giggled as she said, “Whoa. This is the kind of talk you used to charm all those girls eh?” The conversation went on with the both of them pulling each other’s leg and they ended the day on a happy note. As he spoke to her he completed writing the poem and he told her he would mail it to her the next day. Arya went back to his notepad, sat there and thought about it and kept smiling. The notepad read,

Why did she have to come back? Why…
She makes me go just as crazy and keeps me thinking, only about her,
Back in time, every second I go, the higher my thoughts soar, high into the sky,
Boundless is the confusion her thought evokes, sometimes makes me go blur.
Her love for me, people tell me, she might never descry,
I can feel it anyway, I beg to differ.
Her thoughts quench my thirst, for the joy that goes dry,
Her love only makes every waking moment of my life better.
All I want to do is be with her, I try my best to, I try...
I want to love her, take care of her and pamper her.
She addles me alright, that doesn’t make me want her lesser, more, if any…
‘Cos she blows me away every time and that will never change, ever.

Nisha read the poem the next morning in her email. She read the poem twice. She hit the reply button the very next instant.

*****************************************************************************

P.S: Please leave your very valuable feedback here :) That keeps me going

Comments

  1. oye... very interesting... what did she reply??? when will the next installment come out?? :( waiting for it da anna...please do it soon...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming...

I choose now to write A thought about Thoughts, a tale about Feelings. How I wanted to, But, did not speak up or express. I chose, but, To be hurt, To feel betrayed, Disappointed,   by The ones I thought never will Defeated in every path, I chose Stopped time I did, Flipped a few pages back, And stared at life, As an outsider, a stranger With no judgment… I wanted to And failed To say no, to opine To choose differently To be happy and Not carry the burden of My choices. I chose the sorrow, I chose betrayal, I chose yesterday, I chose today. I chose to become. Alas! Time waits for no one, I lay with my eyes open, On a bed of choices and doubts. Pages of life turned to A tomorrow with hope, New paths to pave A path to a new Becoming…

Master of None (?!)

And I keep returning to the blogosphere with one thing or the other. Here goes another cryptic mess here. Are you the master of your choice?  Bright and vibrant eyes, A soothing voice, Helpful demeanor, Subtle yet present curves, A shapely dress, Highlighting them all, As if she wasn't already attractive enough. She called out to him, Gently nudging for attention, From time to time. No matter how big the crowd, He ogled at her unabashedly, Never let her out of sight, Or an arm's length. She wasn't new in his life, Nonetheless, she managed... To morph in many ways From time to time Just for his attention And he, for her Diabolical, was she? One fine day… He sat with his back, Turned away from her, Like he cared - For the world around him. As he looked up and around, All that was left was... Burned bridges, Withering flowers, Fallen leaves, Decadence of life as he knew it And an insignificant ray of hope.

Me, myself & joy....

My back faced the window at The Brew Room. I was engrossed with a few spreadsheets and documents. My coffee arrived. The girl with a very subtle smile on her face served it and was pleasantly shocked when I said thank you and smiled at her. So much so, I could see a small amount of blood rush to her thin, long and meek face that brought an involuntary smile across it.  She turned back and walked away to avoid further eye contact.  In some time, the sun, as it went about it's day moved further west and shone through parts of the windows of the coffee shop. The tree cover and the sun rays had a battle of sorts while the shadows played along. I had youtube dishing out AR Rahman's melodies one after the other. I suddenly felt a warmth on my back. A few sneaky rays of sunshine diffused through the gaps in the leaves to make it in and bring new life into my workplace. I took off my earphones, sat there observing the cheerful people around me and the near perfect day.  To m